Saturday, September 24 in the National Arts Centre
Get the ultimate animation experience at Animation Exposé! Meet the wizards behind the curtain at the Exposé Talk Series, showcasing artists from your favourite projects, including never-before-seen surprises and tips on a career in animation! Talks take place in the Canada Room of the NAC.
ASL Interpretation will be available at all Artist Talks at Animation Exposé, courtesy of Nickelodeon Animation Studio
10:00am – 11:00am
Netflix Animation Presents: Breaking Into Animation
Curious about how to launch your career in animation? Netflix Animation invites you to a can’t-miss presentation that demystifies the unique opportunities across the animation production pipeline with particular emphasis on how to prepare yourself for careers in storyboarding, visual development, and writing. Learn more about how departments work together to create memorable stories and how to develop and showcase your skills to stand out to recruiters.
11:30am – 12:30pm
Sneak Peek: We Lost Our Human
Moderated by: Phil Lafrance (Creative Director/Co-Founder, Jam Filled)
Ahead of its 2023 release, Creators Chris Garbutt and Rikke Asbjoern and Line Producer Mani Beil will give us a sneak peek of their upcoming Netflix interactive special, We Lost Our Human.
Starring an indoor cat and dog called Pud and Ham, who wake up to find that all humans have disappeared from Earth (including their own!). We Lost Our Human follows the two homebound pets as they venture for the first time into the outside world, desperate to find their owner, and discover strange mysteries, meet bizarre creatures, and maybe – with the audience’s help – save the universe along the way.
1:00pm – 2:00pm
Getting the Gig: Recruiter Roundtable
Speakers: Joe Hughes (Sr. Talent Development Specialist, Warner Bros. Animation & Cartoon Network Studios), Brooke Keesling (Head of Animation Talent Development, Bento Box Entertainment), Christine Luu (Senior Manager, Animation Recruitment, Nickelodeon Animation), Ellen Su (Head of Artistic Recruiting, Titmouse)
Moderated by: Azarin Sohrabkhani (Corporate Events Manager, Netflix)
Your chance to hear from some of the industry’s leading talent recruiters as they share their tips for portfolio reviews, networking, interviewing, interning, and everything else you need to know to get (and keep) your dream gig.
2:30pm – 3:30pm
Superhero Work: Bringing Preschoolers into the Animated Batman Universe
They are a team of incredible crimefighters who have banded together to oppose evil, combat crime and clean up the streets of Gotham City. They are…okay, they’re NOT Batman and Robin. They’re the Batwheels – an awesome group of sentient super-powered crime-fighting vehicles defending Gotham City alongside Batman, Robin, and Batgirl.
Join showrunner and co-executive producer Michael G. Stern and supervising producer Simon J. Smith for a behind-the-scenes presentation that takes a look under the hood of the first-ever Batman preschool animated series.
Produced by Warner Bros. Animation, Batwheels is coming soon to Cartoonito on Cartoon Network and Cartoonito on HBO Max.
4:00pm – 5:00pm
A Conversation with Scott Clark of Walt Disney Animation Studios, Vancouver
Speaker: Scott Clark (Head of Animation)
Moderated by: Amil Niazi (Writer/Showrunner, CBC)
Walt Disney Animation Studios Head of Animation Scott Clark will discuss how the new Vancouver studio is building on the legacy of innovative storytelling in animation to create universal stories, imaginative worlds and compelling characters. Amil Niazi, Showrunner of CBC’s Pop Chat podcast, will moderate the conversation.
5:30pm – 6:30pm
Behind-the-Scenes of The Boys Presents: Diabolical
Get a behind-the-scenes look at Prime Video’s Emmy-nominated animated anthology series, The Boys Presents: Diabolical. Showrunner Simon Racioppa, Supervising Director Giancarlo Volpe and Director Madeleine Flores will discuss creating the unseen stories from the universe of the Emmy-nominated live-action series The Boys, each episode having its own animation style, working with diverse teams and collaborating remotely.
Animation Exposé Fair
9:00am – 4:30pm
Are you looking for the right animation program or your next career opportunity? Pack up your portfolio and come meet with representatives from animation schools, studios, and more at the Animation Exposé Fair on September 24th. Visit with a variety of representatives from Canadian and international companies to introduce yourself and learn about upcoming opportunities in the world of animation! See the list of participating studios, schools, and companies below.
Want to stay up-to-date on job opportunities beyond OIAF 2022? Sign up for the Recruit Me! @ OIAF newsletter to learn more about upcoming employment opportunities.
To check out at the Fair
The Netflix Lounge
At this year’s Animation Exposé, you’re invited to join us at the Netflix Lounge located in the National Arts Centre. Take a break, grab some snacks, and hang out with fellow OIAF attendees. You’ll also have the chance to meet members of the Netflix Animation team, learn about our Early Creative Programs, and more. See you there!
About us: Netflix is the world’s leading streaming entertainment service with 221 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries, feature films and mobile games across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Explore Jobs with Netflix
Production Pipeline Technical Director
- Netflix Animation is actively looking for an experienced Pipeline Production TD to join our studio team! You’ll be developing tools and workflows as well as providing front-line pipeline support! Apply here.
Visual Development Artist
- Netflix Animation is looking for talented individuals for upcoming Visual Development Artist roles to help develop, create, and support the aesthetic vision of our series and films. Apply here.
- Netflix Animation is looking for talented individuals for upcoming Storyboard Artist roles. We are seeking artists with unique and technical storytelling to bring our project to life! Apply here.
- Netflix Animation is looking for talented individuals, passionate about animation for upcoming Production Assistant roles! A great opportunity to join our 2D and/or CG animated series or feature productions! Apply here.
Booth #12- Wacom
About us: Wacom is the global leader in the pen display and tablet market for creative users. As a technology company, we provide cutting-edge digital ink solutions for a wide range of partners using and producing smartphones, tablets and digital stationery. Creativity is in every human being.
“We inspire and equip not only professional designers or artists who create amazing digital masterpieces. Our solutions are also for the creativity that is in everyone – in people’s personal lives or when doing business.” (Nobutaka Ide, CEO).
Booth #25- The Animation Guild and Local 938
About Us: The Canadian Animation Guild (CAG), IATSE Local 938, is the first IATSE animation local in Canada. It was formed when Titmouse Animation workers in Vancouver, BC unionized their studio in October of 2020. CAG members are hoping to reach out to their fellow animation workers across Canada to help them learn about the benefits of unionization and help them improve their working conditions. Stop by our booth for amazing free swag, a draw to win a free Wacom One Drawing Tablet and answers to all your questions.
The AniBoutique Pop-Up Shop
About Us: Get that special something to commemorate OIAF 2022 at the Animation Exposé AniBoutique Pop-Up Shop! The Aniboutique has the best in animation posters, t-shirts, books and more — a little something for everyone (and every budget!) The AniBoutique Pop Up Shop is open Saturday at the NAC. You can also find us throughout the festival at Arts Court, TAC and the ByTowne Cinema too!
Booth #1- Nelvana
About Us: Nelvana is an Emmy-Award Winning Studio with over 50 years of experience producing, developing, and distributing children’s animated and live-action content. Nelvana has strong content partnerships with leading companies such as Nickelodeon, Mattel, TIME for Kids and Family, and Sesame Workshop, in addition to its global merchandise expertise. Nelvana’s content airs on Corus Entertainment’s kids channels in Canada and in over 180 countries around the world.
- 3D Generalist:
Ensure technical and artistic accuracy on series productions, while executing all 3D related tasks such as; texturing, modeling, lighting, animation, assembly and look development. Must be proficient in Maya software.
- Assistant Director:
Act as a central link between departments, giving artistic and technical input, while ensuring the Director’s views are being met throughout the process. Must be proficient in Harmony and Maya
- Storyboard Revisionists
Demonstrate an understanding of storytelling while working closely with Directors in producing high-quality animatics and Revising storyboards from preliminary to final edition. Must be proficient in Storyboard Pro software.
- Character, Prop & Location Designers
Specialize in the conceptualization of characters, props and locations for our animated television shows/films, bringing life and expression to the characters and scenes. Must be proficient in Harmony and Photoshop.
- 2D Harmony Riggers
Compose rigs for our 2D Characters using ToonBoom Harmony to create believable movements, facial expressions and gestures that will help our animators bring our characters to life.
Booth #3- Jam Filled
About Us: In 2007, three guys decided to build a studio that they would want to work for. Jam Filled has since expanded from a modest 400-square-foot attic in rural Manotick, On to a fully-operational, multi-production 2D and 3D animation company with studios in Ottawa, Toronto and Halifax. A dynamic workplace for like-minded creative artists, Jam Filled will remind you why you love cartooning: every project is produced with an eye for quality and an ear for fun!
Jam Filled proudly joined the Boat Rocker Media Group family in 2016, which allowed the studio to spread its wings and grow as it continues to produce the highest quality animation and original content in the country.
- 2D Animator- Our Jam Filled studios are looking for some highly skilled 2D Harmony Animators to work on one of our ridiculously SWEET high-profile series!
- 3D Animator- Our Ottawa and Toronto Studios are looking for intermediate – senior level 3D Animators to animate shots in accordance with the Director’s overall vision for our incredible CG series. The animator checks in regularly with supervising animators regarding individual progress and with the animation producer regarding tasks and available work. This role must anticipate, communicate and troubleshoot any technical issues.
- 2D Builder/Rigger- We’re looking for Harmony Builders/Riggers for all three of our studios; Toronto, Ottawa, and Halifax!
- Storyboard Artists- Our Toronto Studio is looking for a Storyboard Artist to assist with 2 boards on one of our signature series. We work on a 4-week schedule per board. The Storyboard Artist will create the board working from the Script, Nat Pause, and a breakdown of key action points provided by the Director at the Storyboard launch. They will formulate sequences for presentation and review, and revise sequences as per Director feedback. They will also actively contribute in offering creative and resourceful solutions for storyboard-related problems.
- 3D Asset Development Artist- We are currently on the hunt for a Development Artist to help establish the visual style and workflow for internal and external productions and production tests, with a focus on pre-production development work. They will be responsible for development from modeling through to compositing, into a final, finished render. We are looking for an artist with a wide range of skills in multiple departments, such as assets, rigging, FX and compositing.
Booth #5- Pipeline Studios
About Us: Pipeline Studios is a creative driven animation studio with world-class artists and technical talent. We join forces with leading networks and partners to creatively bring great stories to life, wowing audiences one show at a time.
- 2D Harmony Animator- This role will demonstrate a high level of skill in creating the overall look, attitude and style of the show’s character animation. They’ll provide consistent quality and revisions when necessary.
- Production Coordinator- This role will provide administrative support to the production, facilitate scheduling and tracking, oversee the production process, and create an organized workflow.
- 2D Character/Prop Designer- This role will deliver engaging, high quality character and prop designs, carrying initial rough drawings through to final designs and providing revised designs as needed in a timely manner.
- Storyboard Artist- This role will provide cinematic storyboards consistent with the show’s quality and style while working in collaboration with all departments to ensure smooth deliveries throughout the pipeline.
- CG Rigger- This role will create versatile character rigging systems and animation interfaces to be used for animation of 3D characters and props.
Booth #6- Sphere Animation
About us: Sphere Animation is one of Canada’s biggest 2D digital animation studios. Led by artists with exceptional expertise and boasting a state-of-the-art production infrastructure, it has seen its series garner success in Canada and around the world. The Montréal studio draws on two decades of experience to deliver large-scale projects for giants such as Netflix, Universal and PBS. These include well-known titles like Curious George, Arthur and F Is for Family. Sphere Animation is also behind original creations for young and older alike, including Chop Chop Ninja, ToonMarty, My Goldfish is Evil!, Ben’s City, 2 Nuts and a Richard! and, coming soon, Riley Rocket and Red Ketchup. The Sphere Animation brand belongs to Sphere, a Canadian film and television industry leader with offices in Montréal, Toronto and Ottawa.
- 2D Animator- At the heart of our pipeline, animators are responsible for the animation of scenes in Harmony which typically includes characters, sets and accessories as well as cycle, draw and retakes.
- Storyboard Artist- Artists responsible for the illustrations of each scene from an episode or a sequence for a 2D animated series. They create the visual reference to bring our stories to life!
- Character Designer- These designers create the visual representation of our 2D characters. Creating through face, body shape, clothing and body language they are responsible for the look and feel of our characters!
- Rigging Artist- How our characters will move is the responsibility of these artists! They create the rigs that will be used to animate and deform the characters in our 2D series.
- Lead Animator- Acting as a resource and mentor for the team, they collaborate with the Animation Supervisor to ensure the technical and artistic requirements are accomplished for our 2D animated productions.
Booth #7- Mercury FilmWorks
About Us: Mercury Filmworks is an award winning independently owned entertainment company collaborating with partners across the globe on world-class content. We are an industry leader, proudly boasting multiple wins of every major television animation award in the industry. Our major recurring partners are Disney, Apple, Netflix, and Amazon.
- 2D Harmony Animator- Excellent opportunity for a unique and highly specialized animator to help us bring to life shows like the Emmy and Annie Award winning series Hilda, Centaurworld plus many other exciting projects Apple, Netflix and Disney!
- Senior 2D Harmony Animator- Excellent opportunity for a unique and highly specialized animator to help us bring to life shows like the Emmy and Annie Award winning series Hilda, Centaurworld plus many other exciting projects Apple, Netflix and Disney!
- Storyboard Artist- Excellent opportunity to collaborate with some of the most creative directors, animators and storyboard artists in the industry, telling stories visually, translating written script into motion, for award winning shows like Hilda, Centaurworld plus many other exciting projects for Apple, Netflix and Disney!
- Director, Production- The Director of Production oversees production planning and analysis for all productions of various scopes. The DP will launch each production with the very best planning and provide support to each production’s management team to resolve any circumstances thereafter escalated to them. The DP is not a producer and is not responsible for the daily operations in a production but is a senior management team member and will coach, mentor, develop and support the production and the production management team as needed. The DP works in collaboration with the Supervising Director and the Head of Editorial to manage the entire Production Team, the Heads of Departments and the Production Pipeline Developer.
Booth #11- Mainframe Studios
About Us: Founded in 1993, Mainframe created the very first fully-CG TV series, ReBoot. Since then, we’ve produced more than 1,000 half-hours of TV, over 60 feature-length projects, and two theatrical feature films. We’ve been innovators and creators since day one, and have partnered with some of the biggest names in the business. Our creative-driven approach marries seamlessly with our rock-solid production processes.
Ever hear someone saying they’re looking forward to going to work? We’re the place they’re headed to. Our family of creative, technical and production folk are the secret ingredient that makes Mainframe special.
We value work/life balance highly – our team works hard, has fun making kids’ entertainment, then heads out to their lives outside the studio. That’s how it should be!
- Lighting Artist
We are looking for Lighting Artists on a current production! Under the guidance of the Lighting Supervisor and/or Leads, on a CG animated TV Series or film, the Lighting Artist is tasked with lighting shots from start to finish as they evolve from preliminary lighting through final renders.
- CG Animator
Under the guidance of the Supervisor, Leads and/or Principals, on a CG animated project, the Animator creates animation that supports the overall creative vision for the story.
- Production Coordinator
Reporting to the Production Manager and/or the Line Producer, the Production Coordinator’s main function is to serve as a liaison between Producers and Artists on the floor ensuring daily assignments are being fulfilled.
Under the guidance of the Production Designer/Art Director, the Designer creates 2D and 3D designs and/or orthographics of characters, sets, vehicles and/or props depending on their area of expertise.
- Storyboard Artist
This is a perfect opportunity for an artist who has a couple of projects under their belt and is passionate about drawing and translating the story into a visual medium. Does this sound like you? Then we want to hear from you!
Booth #13- Brown Bag Films/ 9 Story Media Group
About Us: Brown Bag Films is one of the world’s most exciting, original, and successful creative-led animation studios. With studio locations in Dublin, Toronto, and Bali, Brown Bag Films creates cutting-edge animation for the international market.
The studio’s much-loved TV shows are viewed by millions of children worldwide including titles like Karma’s World, Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood, Ridley Jones, Ada Twist, Scientist,Get Rolling With Otis, Doc McStuffins, Peter Rabbit, Vampirina, The Magic School Bus: Rides Again, Chico Bon Bon: Monkey With A Tool Belt, Xavier Riddle and the Secret Museum, Wild Kratts, and many more. Brown Bag Films has earned numerous awards and nominations including eighteen Emmy® Awards and two Oscar nominations.
Brown Bag Films is among the most technically advanced studios in the world, with full animation, picture and audio post-production facilities in-house. Our motto is simple: “We love animation.” In fact, we love it so much we trademarked it! ‘We Love Animation®
- Line Producer- In this role the Series Producer will facilitate the show’s creative vision across all stages of production, by communicating updates between departments, supervising workflow, and managing quality control for final live action, audio, designs, and animation.
- Lead 3d Rigger- The position of Lead Rigger requires someone with a good general knowledge of Maya and excellent specific knowledge of its constraint, deformer and dynamics systems, and also be proficient with python and Maya tool development. He/she should have several years’ experience rigging in a broadcast / film production environment. Successful applicants will be open to direction, have good communication skills, leadership skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work collaboratively with multiple tasks in a fast paced production.
- Director of Post Producton- In this role you will oversee the Post Production process and strategy for the designated studio ensuring the delivery of high-quality episodes for current and future productions, meeting creative and technical requirements within scope and schedule while managing the financial imperatives and resourcing requirements.
- FX Artists/Supervisors- The Successful Candidate will create FX assets based on the visual and narrative requirements from the Art Director and Episodic Director while working within the technical specifications of the show.
- Production Managers- As a Production Manager you will ‘run the floor’ while reporting to the Producer. You will ensure that all the aspects of the production are executed in a timely manner, of high quality and in accordance with the schedule by managing and supporting the crew and facilitating collaboration between departments.
Booth #15- Guru
About Us: Guru Studio is a creative-driven entertainment company and an industry leader in animated storytelling. We are renowned for creating, developing and producing award-winning hit shows that captivate and inspire kids and families all over the world.
For over twenty years, our studio has brought to life some of the most recognizable and beloved children’s properties in the world including the smash hit PAW Patrol, True and the Rainbow Kingdom, Pikwik Pack, Big Blue, Justin Time, Ever After High and most recently Mecha Builders, the Sesame Street animated spin-off. Our studio was also a major contributor to the Academy Award nominated animated feature The Breadwinner.
At Guru, quality, original thinking, and respect for the artist’s workflow are at the core of our values. We are always looking for passionate and committed talent to join our dynamic and growing team!
- Asset Artists (Modeling/ Surfacing/ Rigging)- Looking for talented artists who can model, surface, groom and rig assets to meet the intended look based on the outlined guidelines and meet the set design aesthetic.
- Animators- Creative and talented artists who understand the assigned scenes and their purpose in the story to create animated character performances that meet the quality standard.
- Art/ Designers- Talented and creative artists with excellent drawing and design skills that are ready to design in various forms, from rough concept to finished rotations, and develop a consistent look for the show.
- Layout Artists- Layout Artists will be translating storyboard animatics into animation-ready 3D layout files, by performing environment blocking and creating backgrounds that support the narrative of the story, setting the camera path and defining the perspective of the scene, among others.
- Technical Directors- Technical Directors will design, develop, and implement new tools and processes, provide support and development of tools and procedures to extend and enhance the pipeline.
Booth #17- ReDefine
About Us: ReDefine is a global VFX and animation boutique, providing high-quality, tailored creative production services to studios, filmmakers and streaming companies to help them efficiently and effectively bring their stories to life.
As part of the DNEG Group, ReDefine has the benefit of over 20 years of innovation and award-winning creative excellence, as well as a market-leading technology infrastructure.
Our agile and flexible approach allows us to streamline the creative workflow to offer timely solutions to our clients, while our global community of talented VFX and animation artists work hand-in-hand with our filmmaking partners to help them realize their grandest visions.
We will be prescreening work at the artist gallery but if you’d like a meeting with us let us know. We will be doing portfolio review in person with our layout and animation leadership.
- Asset (LookDev, surfacing, modeling, creature)- Seeking Asset artists to support the growing teams with the production of photo-realistic assets as well as assets for animated projects
- Art (Concept Story)- Seeking Concept artists to create matte paintings and story boards to briefs provided by the Art Director/Creative Supervisor, in a variety of styles and technical implementations.
- Supervisor (COMP, PROD, DFX, VFX, FX, CFX, EnvGen, DMP, Modeling)- Seeking Supervisors across multiple departments to work directly and collaboratively with other departments and project clients, managing and supervising their teams.
- Compositing (Junior to Senior)- Seeking Junior to Senior level Compositors to work closely with both Animation and VFX Supervisors to composite the numerous elements that complete a visual effect shot,including live-action and computer graphic elements.
- 3D Concept/Modeler– Seeking 3D Concept artists to create models and CG previs elements to briefs provided by the Art Director/Creative Supervisor, in a variety of styles and technical implementations.
Booth #18- DNEG Animation
About Us: DNEG Animation is a full-service animation studio that embraces creativity and technological innovations to enable filmmakers the freedom to bring their stories to life in a new era of animation. We’re partnering with global studio and production companies on multiple upcoming projects, including Nimona, Garfield, and That Christmas.
Here at DNEG Animation, we collaborate with filmmakers and content owners to create high-end animated feature films and episodic content for audiences all over the world. Our team’s passion for creating world-class animation shines through in everything we do – from the diverse styles of the animated films and series that we create, to the way we collaborate across our global studios, to the way we mentor and train our crews. And everything we do is with the goal of creating original animation of the highest-quality that delivers for each filmmaker’s unique vision.
We will be prescreening work at the artist gallery but if you’d like a meeting with us let us know. We will be doing portfolio review in person with our layout and animation leadership.
- CG Animator- Seeking junior-mid level CG animators for feature films to bring the characters to life with your strong knowledge of anatomy and acting skills to communicate ideas to audiences.
- Layout Artist- Seeking junior to mid level rough and final layout artists to help with cinematography, character blocking, set dressing, and camera finaling.
- Junior Visual Development Artist- Seeking junior artists to work on current productions to support asset preparation through the pipeline and to work on upcoming projects to support look development.
- Assistant Technical Director- Entry level role that will perform a variety of tasks to assist the Pipeline Technical Directors (Pipeline TDs) to ensure the smooth running of the tools, software and workflows.
- Production Management (PA, Coord, or Supervisor)- Responsible for ensuring artists understand their schedule of work, relaying information back to production/supervision team, coordinating the flow of information and elements between artists and departments
Booth #19- Atomic Cartoons
About Us: Atomic Cartoons Inc. is an award-winning animation studio with locations in Vancouver’s Mt. Pleasant Animation District, Ottawa’s Hintonburg neighborhood and LA. We’ve produced Emmy-winning series Beat Bugs and The Last Kids on Earth, as well as Peabody Award- and Television Critics Association Award-winner Molly of Denali with GBH (which also won a Kidscreen Award for Best Inclusivity). Since its founding more than 20 years ago, Atomic Cartoons has also created and produced numerous 2D and CG animated productions for clients including Netflix, DreamWorks, Apple TV+, Disney, Lucasfilm, Marvel, eOne/Hasbro and Adult Swim. The Ottawa studio recently completed a variety of 2D work on DreamWorks/Apple TV+’s Pinecone and Pony and Vindicators 2 for Adult Swim and Little Demon for ShadowMachine/FX Networks. In the industry, we’re known for having an artist-friendly culture and flexible work environment.
- Storyboard Artist (2D and CG)- Working remotely with our Vancouver studio on CG and 2D projects. Work with the Director and Storyboard Supervisor to illustrate the story, plan shots, and draw panels.
- Storyboard Revisionist (2D and CG)- Working remotely with our Vancouver Studio on CG and 2D projects. Redraw existing storyboards to the specifications of the Director’s/Supervisors notes.
- Designer (CG and 2D)- Working remotely with our Vancouver studio on CG and 2D projects. Design characters, props and or environments while maintaining show style.
- Pipeline TD (CG and 2D)- Maintain and develop our CG or 2D pipeline while helping artists with new tools, applications and techniques. Help our CG develop and implement our new CG Pipeline.
Booth #20- Warner Bros Animation
About Us: Warner Bros. Animation (WBA) is one of the leading producers of animation in the entertainment industry. As home to the iconic and beloved characters from the DC, Hanna-Barbera, Scooby-Doo and Looney Tunes libraries, WBA produces animated content for all audience groups across multiple platforms (broadcast, streaming, theatrical, home entertainment/digital media), both domestically and internationally. One of the most-honored animation studios in history, WBA has won six Academy Awards®, 40 Emmy® Awards, the George Foster Peabody Award, a BAFTA Children’s Award, an Environmental Media Award, a Parents’ Choice Award, the HUMANITAS Prize, two Prism Awards and 21 Annie Awards (honoring excellence in animation).
- 2D Background Designer- Must have strong composition and design skills, strong sense of perspective and ability to design different styles of backgrounds, from “slice of life”/realistic to cartoony/imaginative.
- Character Designer- -Looking for experienced artists who understand and apply structure and form to their designs, and maintain it from rough to final clean design and be able to do turnarounds, mouth charts, and redresses
- Storyboard Revisionist- Work with the Supervising Producer to visualize and conceptualize story before executing, Clean up select sequences on rough panels after Storyboard Artists have completed first pass and Make sure style of the show is achieved across all storyboards.
Booth #21- Cartoon Network Studios
About Us: Established in 2000, Cartoon Network Studios (CNS) is a global animation and interactive studio recognized for its innovative approaches to IP development and world-building. Fostering a creator-driven environment, CNS is home to hundreds of visual artists who have been a part of the studio’s many critically acclaimed and groundbreaking animated series including Adventure Time, Craig of the Creek, Steven Universe, Summer Camp Island, The Powerpuff Girls, and We Bare Bears. CNS has also produced notable Adult Swim hits such as Primal, Samurai Jack, and Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law.
- 2D Background Designer- Strong composition and design skills, strong sense of perspective and ability to design different styles of backgrounds, from “slice of life”/realistic to cartoony/imaginative
- Character Designer- Looking for experienced artists who understand and apply structure and form to their designs, and maintain it from rough to final clean design, must be able to do turnarounds, mouth charts, and redresses.
- Color Designer- Strong knowledge of color theory and lighting, ability to create very specific color palettes with -1 or 2+ years of studio experience
- Digital Production Assistant- Prior work experience preferred, Basic knowledge of Adobe Premiere, Knowledge of the animation pipeline and a desire to work in production and/or be an animatic editor.
Booth #2- School of Visual Arts NYC
About Us: School of Visual Arts has been a leader in the education of artists, designers and creative professionals for seven decades. With a faculty of distinguished working professionals, a dynamic curriculum and an emphasis on critical thinking, SVA is a catalyst for innovation and social responsibility. Comprising 7,000 students at its Manhattan campus and more than 41,000 alumni from 128 countries, SVA also represents one of the most influential artistic communities in the world. For information about the College’s 30 undergraduate and graduate degree programs, visit sva.edu.
Booth #4- Algonquin College
Booth #8- Savannah College of Art and Design
About Us: SCAD: The University for Creative Careers
SCAD is a private, nonprofit, accredited university, offering degrees in Animation, Motion Media, Visual Effects, Interactive Design and Game Development, Immersive Reality and more than 100 graduate and undergraduate programs across locations in Atlanta and Savannah, Georgia; Lacoste, France; and online via SCADnow. SCAD enrolls more than 15,700 undergraduate and graduate students from more than 120 countries. The future-minded SCAD curriculum engages professional-level technology and myriad advanced learning resources, affording students opportunities for internships, professional certifications, and real-world assignments with corporate partners through SCADpro, the university’s renowned research lab and prototype generator. SCAD animation earned recognition on seven of Animation Career Review’s best-of lists in 2020-21. Career success is woven into every fiber of the university, resulting in a superior alumni employment rate. For the past five years, 99% of SCAD graduates were employed, pursuing further education, or both within 10 months of graduation.
For more information, visit scad.edu.
Booth #9- Sheridan College
About Us: Sheridan is a world leader in Animation education. Our Honours Bachelor of Animation, and postgraduate certificates in Computer Animation, VFX and Digital Creature Animation are consistently ranked the Top 10 in the world. With over 300 years of industry experience our faculty teach students in state-of-the-art facilities with the same software and hardware used at studios today. Around 95% of graduates are employed in the industry at studios like Guru, Disney, Nelvana, Pipeline, Pixar, House of Cool, ILM, Atomic Cartoons and Jam Filled.
For over 50 years Sheridan has trained Academy, Emmy and Annie Award Winners including Domee Shi, the first female to solo direct a Pixar feature film, Turning Red. Gyimah Gariba creator of children’s show Big Blue. Steve “Spaz” Williams who built the digital dinosaurs in Jurassic Park revolutionizing the VFX Industry. Dean DeBlois writer/director of the How to Train Your Dragon franchise.
Visit https://www.sheridancollege.ca/ to learn more!
Booth #10- College for Creative Studies
About Us: The College for Creative Studies (CCS) is a nonprofit, private, fuly accredited college of art and design. CCS enrolls more than 1,400 students, pursuing Bachelor of Fine Arts degrees in Advertising Design, Art Education, Art Practice, Communication Design, Craft and Material Studies, Entertainment Arts, Fashion Design, Film, Illustration, Interior Design, Interdisciplinary Art & Design, Photography, Product Design and Transportation Design and Master of Fine Arts and Master of Arts degrees in Art Education, Color and Materials Design, Design for Climate Action, Motion Design, Transportation Design and User Experience Design.
Booth #14- Seneca College
About Us: Seneca College is one of the top public post-secondary training institutions in Canada. The School of Creative Arts and Animation is a recognized global training leader in animation, interactive media, documentary filmmaking, graphic design, music, acting, and illustration. The Animation program at Seneca is ranked #3 in Canada and #4 globally by Animation Career Review. In Fall 2022, Seneca launched a completely new three-year animation advanced diploma program that is the most responsive in the field to industry and technology changes. Our cross-disciplinary curriculum allows students to specialize in their second year of study while working with students in other streams, something we call The Seneca Animation Model. In addition to the three-year program, Seneca has three one-year graduate certificate programs in 3D Animation, Game Art & Animation, and Visual Effects.
Booth #16- Vancouver Film School
About Us: Canada’s Premier Entertainment Arts School
One-Year Education Model VFS offers 15 signature post-secondary programs —spanning every aspect of the entertainment arts — that are developed and taught by award-winning industry professionals. Each program’s intensive curriculum evolves along with demands of the industry, and the best, current industry practices.
- Senior Instructor- Digital Design and VR/AR Program. Visit https://vfs.edu/vfscareershttps://vfs.edu/vfscareers/945 for more information.
- Teaching Assistant- Digital Design – Contract Basis. Visit https://vfs.edu/vfscareers for more information.
- Teaching Assistant- School of Animation -Visual Effects Stream. Visit https://vfs.edu/vfscareers for more information.
- VFS Mentor (Non-specified)- visit https://vfs.edu/vfscareers/946 for more information.
- VFS Instructor (Non-specified)- visit https://vfs.edu/vfscareers/945 for more information.
Saturday, September 24
National Arts Centre: Studio Foyer
Mad Eyes Misfits: Writings on Indie Animation
by Chris Robinson
2:30pm – 3:00pm
One of the most stylistically original and provocative writers in animation returns with this informal sequel to his previous books on indie animation, Unsung Heroes of Animation and Animators Unearthed. In this collection, award-winning writer Chris Robinson looks at a wide range of films and filmmakers, including cult favourites Don Hertzfeldt, Adam Elliot, Masaaki Yuasa, Wong Ping, Bruce Bickford, Rosto, Suzan Pitt, Clyde Henry, and Cartoon Saloon.
The Corners are Glowing: Selected Writings from the OIAF
Edited by Chris Robinson & Tom McSorley
3:30pm – 4:00pm
The Corners are Glowing is a selection of the best writings (many unseen for decades) culled from past OIAF catalogues. These wide-ranging texts cover the spectrum of animation from the familiar (Daffy Duck, Pee Wee Herman, Bob Clampett, Joanna Quinn, Hiyao Miyazaki, Frank Tashlin) to the more esoteric (Robert Breer, Emily Pelstring, Taku Furukawa, Michael Sporn, and even the use of furniture in animation!).
Just Pilar – Capturing the Moon… On Memory, Meaning, and How Not To Annoy Animators
by Pilar Newton-Katz
This darkly funny comic collection from cartoonist Pilar Newton-Katz offers insights into Pilar’s psych through observations, metaphors and stories. You will see what makes up Just Pilar.
by Dave Cooper
5:00pm – 5:30pm
The long-awaited release of Pillowy, the 350-pg monograph of all of Dave’s finest work in fine art, graphic novels, illustration, and animation as well as a comprehensive interview in both English and French.