(as of June 26, 1997)
Ottawa can be reached by air, train, bus or car.
Once in Ottawa, taxis are readily available from all stations to the downtown core. OCTranspo (Ottawa's local bus service) runs buses from all points to downtown usually within 20 minutes. Bus fare is $1.85 and usually runs every 15 minutes. Airport shuttles are also available to downtown hotels. The cost is $9.00 one way, $14.00 return.
SAFO Shuttle service will be offered to guests of the festival for arrivals to and departures from Ottawa.
UP TO 50% SAVINGS ON TRAVEL TO OTTAWA!
As a courtesy to all SAFO participants, Canadian Airlines International (in partnership with American Airlines), the official carrier of SAFO 97, and Via Rail Canada are offering special reduced rates for those making the trip to Ottawa this Fall. Canadian Airlines fly out of most major centres in Canada, the US, Europe, and Asia. Via Rail Canada's Corridor serves Canadians travelling between Windsor, Ontario and Quebec City. Here's what you have to do to take advantage of the savings:
For Canadian Airlines, call 1-800-665-5554 (in North America) to book your flight using the following event #: M01509. Discounts range from 10% to 50% depending on how early you book your flight. All overseas SAFO participants may book their flights through their travel agents using the same event number to receive the savings.
For Via Rail Canada, students travelling along the Corridor (see above) can receive a 50% discount and travel First Class at no extra cost. This offer is launched along with Via Rail's September 1997 promotional offer of a discount on a booklet of tickets for students wanting to travel from home to school and vice versa over the course of the school year. Adults can save up to 40% on travel to SAFO with advanced bookings and also be upgraded to First Class at no extra cost. Contact the SAFO guest office to sign up for the savings: (613) 232-8769.
Check out our FREE TICKET CONTEST before you book your flight. You may be eligible for a free trip to SAFO!
Booking accommodations is the responsibility of the festival attendee unless that individual has a film in SAFO's Officical Competition at which time accommodations will be arranged by the Festival Guest Office.
The following list of hotels are extending a special rate and have a number of rooms set aside (for up to one month before the festival) for SAFO participants. Be sure to book your room as soon as possible and mention you are with the STUDENT ANIMATION FESTIVAL in order to receive the discount. The prices quoted do not include a 5% Ontario room tax and a 7% federal goods and services tax. The toll free 1-800 telephone numbers may not be valid outside of Canada.
- RAMADA HOTEL & SUITES, 111 Cooper St., tel: (613) 238-1331, Toll free: 1-800-854-7854. Official sponsor of SAFO and site of CHEZ-ANI. Rates: $85 single or a double.
- CAPITAL HILL HOTEL AND SUITES, 88 Albert Street, tel: (613) 235-1413; fax: (613) 235-6047; toll free: 1-800-463-7705. Rates: $69 single or double; suites $89. MAY ALREADY BE SOLD OUT.
- SHERATON OTTAWA HOTEL & TOWERS (OTTAWA HILTON), 150 Albert St., tel: (613) 238-1500; fax: (613) 235-2723. Rates: $120 Wed.-Thurs, $95 Fri.-Sun., single or a double, suites $180.
- CHATEAU LAURIER, 1 Rideau St., tel: (613) 241-1414; fax: (613) 562-7031; toll free: 1-800-441-1414. Cdn Pacific Bedrooms $146, Executive suites $300.
- DAYS INN OTTAWA CITY CENTRE, 123 Metcalfe Street, tel: (613) 237-9300; fax: (613) 237-2163. Rates: $75 single or $80 double. Ask for reservations manager Sherene (ext. 255).
- HOWARD JOHNSON OTTAWA, 140 Slater St, tel: (613) 238-2888, fax: (613) 235-8421. Rates: $72 single or double, suites available.
- WESTIN HOTEL OTTAWA, 11 Colonel By Drive, tel: (613) 560-7000, fax: (613) 560-7359, toll free: 1-800-937-8461. Moderate room $145, Deluxe $165, suite $300. Located beside the Rideau Centre.
- CARTIER PLACE & TOWERS, 180 Cooper St, tel: (613)236-5000, fax: (613) 238-3842, toll free: 1-800-236-8399. Rates: $69 single or double, $89 triple or quad. One block from the Ramada.
- EMBASSY HOTEL & SUITES, 25 Cartier at Cooper, tel: (613) 237-2111, fax: (613) 563-1353, toll free: 1-800-661-5495. Rates: $70 single or double, $75 triple, $85 quad, suites $100-$110. Next to the Ramada. Excellent for groups; rooms can hold up to 8 people.
The least expensive places to stay in Ottawa. There may be restrictions on your access and your activities.
- OTTAWA YM-YWCA, 180 Argyle, tel: (613) 237-1320. Rates: $42 single; $50 double. A 20 minute walk from the National Arts Centre.
- OTTAWA INTERNATIONAL HOSTEL, 75 Nicholas, tel: (613) 235-2595; fax: (613) 789-2131. Rates: non-member $20; member $16. Private rooms available. Restricted late night access, doors open from 7:00 a.m. to 02:00am. An heritage building, formerly the Carleton County Jail (1862-1971). A 10 minute walk from the National Arts Centre.
The SAFO staff is working hard to offer a billet service to those students wishing to save a little money. Please contact the Festival office AFTER JULY 31st, 1997 for more information.
If you are having problems locating accommodation please contact the Festival and we will help you find a room.
copyright © 1997 Ottawa International Animation Festival